Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

Cosmetic Surgery in the UK

There is an article in the Guardian today by Decca Aitkenhead about the steep rise in cosmetic surgeries in the UK. The article gives some pretty surprising (maybe just to me, though, as the whole concept seems so bizarre -- obviously not a mainstream view) statistics.
[Transform Medical Group] has seen an annual growth rate of 10-20% through the 90s rocket recently to twice as much or more, and this is reflected across the industry as a whole. Cosmetic operations in Bupa [British United Provident Association] hospitals were up by 32% last year, male patient numbers more than doubled, and operations by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Baaps) rose by 50%. In the absence of a formal national record, the true number of cosmetic operations today is unknowable. Bupa puts it at around 75,000 a year, with another 50,000 non-surgical procedures such as Botox. By the end of last year the British market had been valued at more than £250m.

Whatever the precise magnitude of the explosion, its impact on us has been overwhelming. A practice widely regarded not a decade ago as physically risky, morally doubtful, prohibitively expensive and socially embarrassing has been rebranded as something so innocuous and sensible as to be mundane. A survey this summer for Grazia magazine found that more than half of women now expect to have surgery. A quarter of teenage boys polled in May thought they might too, while more than 40% of teenage girls said they had considered it....

In the Grazia survey this summer, two thirds of women under 25 said "celebrities influence them into wanting surgery".
The article goes on at length about the role of the media (especially reality television) and what role, if any, "feminism" has to play.

Comments:
That's because women can't get fat or old. The society teaches us that youth and thinness are the first steps to be beautiful. It's just another way of mental slavery. And we all are crazy. Now parents pay breast augmentations for their daughters if they pass their exams at school. It's too sad.

~Amaya
 
Yes, but as you allude to yourself, it's not even just about fat and old. If the daughters want breast augmentations after passing their exams, if a quarter of teenage boys polled and more than 40% of teenage girls polled are considering it, TEENAGERS! not 40-year-olds, then it can't really be about fat and old, but just about how you look and how you're "supposed" to look, right? I mean, not only can't you be fat and old, but even when you're young and thin you must look a certain way.
 
Yes, even when you are young and thin. I look at myself and altough I'm only 22 and I know all that is shit I can't see myself ok. I have those ideas of how should I be so deep in my mind that it's going to be imposible to take them out there.

~Amaya
 
Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentistson the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)
 
Online Business is the Central idea of our approach. Searching the Internet for our relevant beauticontrol cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at beauticontrol cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Online Business is the Central idea of our approach. Searching the Internet for our relevant mary kay cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at mary kay cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Online Business is the Central idea of our approach. Searching the Internet for our relevant mary kay cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at mary kay cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Online Business is the Central idea of our approach. Searching the Internet for our relevant mary kay cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at mary kay cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Our Business exceeds our initial thinking. Searching the Internet for our relevant dead sea cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at dead sea cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Our Business exceeds our initial thinking. Searching the Internet for our relevant dead sea cosmetic leads us to your Site. We hope you find time to visit us at dead sea cosmetic and exchange link with us.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?