Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

Class Warfare and Aunt Deb on the Internets

Aunt Deb wrote me an email today titled "What I learned on the internets today" -- here it is:
Number of articles touting the Bush Boom found on Nationalreview.com:
44

Change in median income 2001-2004: -$673

Change in number of Americans in poverty: +4.1 million

Change in number of Americans without health insurance: +4.6 million


Boom on!!
She also sent me an article on this report from the Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economic on the ratio of CEO pay to average non-management worker pay. Can you guess what that ratio might be? Well, I'll give it away:
The ratio of average CEO pay (now $11.8 million) to worker pay (now $27,460) spiked up from 301-to-1 in 2003 to 431-to-1 in 2004.

If the minimum wage had risen as fast as CEO pay since 1990, the lowest paid workers in the US would be earning $23.03 an hour today, not $5.15 an hour.

The report found that CEOs are individually profiting from the Iraq War, with huge average raises at the biggest defense contractors.

At the 34 publicly traded US corporations among the 2004 top 100 defense contractors with 10% or more of their revenues from defense contracts – companies such as United Technologies, Textron, and General Dynamics – average CEO pay increased 200% from 2001 to 2004, versus 7% for all CEOs.
I also watched The Corporation last night (well, the parts of it that I didn't fall asleep during -- hey, I was tired, give me a break). So seriously, I'm all jazzed up now: where do I sign up for the workers' revolution?

[Update: For those that can't be troubled to read comments, Aunt Deb points out that proper attribution should be given to Brendan Nyhan via Brad deLong for the stats.]

Comments:
Eliminate corporate personhood. Anything that helps to that end, I'll sign too!
 
Those facts come from Brendan Nyhan via Brad deLong, just to give credit where credit is due -- one of the moral differences between liberals and neocons...

Aunt Deb
 
There has been a great change in the number of americans uninsured in the past few years and something must be done. I hope Bush can come up with something or try doing something about health coverage.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?