Tuesday, October 05, 2004

 

Michael Moore's letters from Iraq

The Guardian has letters sent to Michael Moore by soldiers who have served or are currently serving in Iraq. They will be published in Moore's upcoming book. All I have to say is: good for Michael Moore for publishing these letters, because you damn well aren't going to read this kind of thing elsewhere (even if you have a friend or relative in Iraq, you might not get them to open up in this kind of way). I am posting the first one, but you should read them all.
From: RH
To: mike@michaelmoore.com
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2003 4:57 PM
Subject: Iraqi freedom veteran supports you
Dear Mr Moore,
I went to Iraq with thoughts of killing people who I thought were horrible. I was like, "Fuck Iraq, fuck these people, I hope we kill thousands." I believed my president. He was taking care of business and wasn't going to let al Qaeda push us around. I was with the 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, 3rd Infantry division out of Fort Stewart, Georgia. My unit was one of the first to Baghdad. I was so scared. Didn't know what to think. Seeing dead bodies for the first time. People blown in half. Little kids with no legs. It was overwhelming, the sights, sounds, fear. I was over there from Jan'03 to Aug'03. I hated every minute. It was a daily battle to keep my spirits up. I hate the army and my job. I am supposed to get out next February but will now be unable to because the asshole in the White House decided that now would be a great time to put a stop-loss in effect for the army. So I get to do a second tour in Iraq and be away from those I love again because some guy has the audacity to put others' lives on the line for his personal war. I thought we were the good guys.

UPDATE: 4:32 pm Tuesday: So my dear friend Maha, a George Mason alum, just sent me this article about George Mason University canceling a scheduled speaking appearance by Michael Moore. And why did they do this? Loudoun County Del. Richard L. Black, "who has one of the General Assembly's most conservative voting records," wrote a letter to the university protesting the appearance because of Moore's speaking fee. First of all, plenty of speakers at universities across this country charge appearance fees. And plenty of them are clear about their political beliefs and that's fine. But whether or not Black likes Moore's politics or his books or his films, the fact remains that Moore is a filmmaker who has won several very prestigious awards and is a bestselling author. To pressure the university to cancel his appearance is to play petty politics. Finally, Moore has offered to attend and speak without receiving his fee, which is pretty cool. You'd wish that George Mason University would have a bit more backbone, but apparently they are a bit lacking in that department.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?