Thursday, October 28, 2004

 

7th inning stretch

Watching the baseball game last night, I must say I was quite amazed when they announced that Scott Stapp, lead singer of Creed, would be singing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. And boy, was I ever not disappointed. The man gave it his all, with his breathy soul-grunge vocals hopelessly flat. I mean it was laughable. And I felt great!

You know who is not feeling great right now? That's right, Yasir Arafat (and you thought it would be hard to transition from Scott Stapp to Yasir Arafat). From what I can gather from the news, it is still pretty unclear what is actually going on with his health and how serious it is. It doesn't sound like he's doing too good now, but with the miracles of modern science and all that, who knows. Still, even if he lives through this and even gets better, I think that this could well be a major turning point: think about it - you have a Gaza withdrawal vote in the Knesset, the election of the US President, and Arafat taking ill - all within the space of a week. There is the possibility, the opportunity even, to set a very different dynamic in place. Hopefully, that will happen, as the old dynamic wasn't working out too well, if you know what I mean.

I recommend reading Ha'aretz to explore some of the issues at play. Currently there are 17 links to stories (news and analysis) about Arafat and the possible post-Arafat era on the Ha'aretz front page online.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?