Wednesday, August 04, 2004

 

Drawing the Lines of Connection

There is a frightening and enlightening article by Robert Fisk in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer today exposing the disastrous state of affairs in Iraq. The piece is titled "Iraq on the verge of implosion" and in it Fisk writes:
Indeed, watching any Western television station in Baghdad these days is like tuning in to Planet Mars. Doesn't Blair realize that Iraq is about to implode? Doesn't President Bush realize this? The American-appointed "government" controls only parts of Baghdad -- and even there its ministers and civil servants are car-bombed and assassinated. Baquba, Samara, Kut, Mahmoudiya, Hilla, Fallujah, Ramadi, all are outside government authority. Ayad Allawi, the "prime minister," is little more than mayor of Baghdad. "Some journalists," Blair announces, "almost want there to be a disaster in Iraq." He doesn't get it. The disaster exists now.
So the disaster is now, but that's not what we are getting here. In fact, we aren't getting much here at all. There are several days a week now, it seems, that there is not a single article about Iraq on the front page of the Washington Post. And that brings us to the second article of the day, an op-ed in the Post by Harold Meyerson, asking the question Where's Rumsfeld? Not too many press conferences these days, are there? Writes Meyerson:
We've gone from Mission Accomplished to Mission Invisible. The fact that we still have men and women in harm's way doesn't play very well if the boss is going to get reelected. The fact that we never had a plan for Iraq after Saddam Hussein -- or, worse, that we had plans from the generals and from State and from the CIA, and that Rummy trashed them all and figured we could run the place with nothing more than Ahmed Chalabi and the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo -- is not something the Bush boys want voters thinking about as the election draws near.
So this is where we are - the Bush administration tries to keep the lid on Iraq until after the election, at which point enough time has passed since the Iraq takeover of sovereignty that we can blame everything on the Iraqis, on the foreign Jihadists, on Zarqawi (never forget Zarqawi), or on the Democrats (if they win the election). Let somebody else clean up the problem, we've got other things to worry about. Did somebody say Iran? Who's comin' with me? Whooooo's comin' with me? This is increasingly becoming the Jerry McGuire administration - from "Who's comin' with me?" to "Show me the money!"

Comments:
I read the Harold Meyerson column with amusement. In general I enjoy his column quite a bit, but I had a disturbing realization about him: I think the Post started running his column specifically as a replacement for Mary McGrory! Essentially, I think they have a certain number of ideological slots on the political spectrum, and when they lose someone, they have to find another columnist to pigeonhole into the old columnist's slot. I suppose this doesn't concern Harold Mayerson per se, but it is creepy, isn't it?
On another note, how do you do the stuff on the left-hand side of your blog with the favoirtes and stuff?
 
Also, how do I edit my posts - I just realized I spelled 'favorites' wrong.

Gabe
 
I feel you about the slot filling - it's the "fair and balanced" approach to news these days. You don't want too many pissed off people writing letters to the editors. As regards adding links, you have to go into the template and tinker with the html. It's not that hard to figure out I guess, and I can send you my username and password so you can look at how mine is set up if you shoot me an email. Also, for editing, it should be an option on your "dashboard".
 
Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed
 
your Blog Site and it is related to the keyword SLOT CAR just like my
 
your Blog Site and it is related to the keyword SLOT CAR just like my
 
i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site. sincerely, antonio.
 
i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site. sincerely, antonio.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?