Thursday, July 15, 2004

 

VOA vs. al-Hurra

An article from a couple days ago in USA Today reports the unrest at Voice of America. This unrest is the result of taxpayer money being funneled away from VOA and towards Radio Sawa and al-Hurra television. Why? Because VOA isn't quite doing the propaganda job that the US government wants.
The petition asserts that the Broadcasting Board of Governors, which oversees U.S taxpayer-funded broadcast outlets, has been funneling money into new radio and TV stations that are not subject to the same journalistic standards and monitoring as VOA. The new broadcast outlets are directed primarily at the Middle East, where the U.S. image is at a historic low.

"As broadcast professionals ... we call on the U.S. Congress to conduct an immediate inquiry into the actions of the Broadcasting Board of Governors," the petition says. It goes on to accuse the board of "killing VOA" by closing its Arabic radio service, reducing English-language broadcasting and launching services with "no editorial accountability" and limited breaking news.
And despite claims that Radio Sawa and al-Hurra are doing a great job, there is some evidence to the contrary.
Shibley Telhami, an expert on Arab media and public opinion at the Brookings Institution, says a separate survey he has just completed of 3,300 people in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Jordan, Lebanon and the United Arab Emirates doesn't indicate that Al-Hurra has had much impact on viewers in those countries. The survey shows that Al-Jazeera, a decade-old Qatar-based network often criticized by the Bush administration for having an anti-American slant, is the No. 1 choice for news, followed by al-Arabiya, a Dubai-based channel that is only a year old. No one surveyed said Al-Hurra, which went on the air in February, was a first choice and only 3.8% picked it as a second choice for news, according to that survey.
So not only is VOA being gutted to fund these Bush babies like Radio Sawa and al-Hurra, but that money is basically going straight down the toilet. Fantastically done, boys. Keep up the good work.

Comments:
Hi Blogger, I enjoyed reading your VOA vs. al-Hurra blog. I am involved with Voice broadcasting and my site is Voice broadcasting.
 
Hi there Blogger. I was searching for the latest information on loan origination leads and somehow, which I don't understand, found your site. Although VOA vs. al-Hurra wasn't what I was interested in, I'm sure glad I found your site. I'll keep on looking for loan origination leads but I just had to comment on how much I enjoyed reading the comments here. loan origination leads I bookmarked your site.
 
Hi, Blogger, I liked your blog its my first time here! If you are interested, go see my voice broadcasting services related site. Its purley for Businesses who need telemarketing.http://www.lowcosttraffic.com/mlm-telerecruiter.html

All the best to you!
 
Hi Blogger, VOA vs. al-Hurra, was Not what I was searching for, which is autodialers. but none the less and interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back http://www.lowcosttraffic.com/mlm-telerecruiter.html
 
Hello there, Blogger, I thought your VOA vs. al-Hurra blog was great with good comments. Awesome. Nice Blog. voice broadcastingl .
 
Hi, Blogger, I was surfing and searching for some info on telemarketing and noticed your site. Your this post VOA vs. al-Hurra though sounded interesting so I took a look. It was not relevant to my telemarketing I was glad to read your interesting comments. Keep up the fantastic blogging.
 
Hi just surfing and discoverd your blog. Very nice. If you are a marketer looking for big savings in advertising regarding voice broadcasting, you may want to visitvoice broadcasting at http://www.pennypercall.com. Thanks.
 
Great Blog. I enjoyed the information. Many marketers are solving the email blocking and filtering by discovering voice broadcasting. 100 percent of the messages get through! See liberty league at liberty league
 
Great Blog. I enjoyed the information. Many marketers are solving the email blocking and filtering by discovering voice broadcasting. 100 percent of the messages get through! See coastal vacations at coastal vacations
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?