Friday, May 28, 2004

 

Keepin' it real with Colin Powell

To directly quote my Aunt Deb: "Here's something to add to your collection of the bizarre and transformative assertions made by People In Power." In regards to audiotapes of Iraqi officers plotting to deceive weapons inspectors presented before the UN in Colin Powell's hyping of the War in Iraq:
"We can't find those guys. I don't know who those guys were. But the tapes were real tapes. We didn't make them up," Powell said in an interview with six newspapers, including The Sun.
Those tapes were real tapes. Now, we don't know who "those guys" were and we certainly can't find them now, but those were actual tapes. You know, the same kind you can buy in the CVS to tape your CDs. REAL TAPES, I said. I mean maybe I'm just getting a little crazy here, but don't you think it would have been worthwhile for US intelligence to find out whom it was that we recorded on those tapes? But at least Powell recognizes that his presentation wasn't perfect.
"I'm very disappointed that all that I said was not accurate. Not all that I said was inaccurate," Powell said. "The part about mobile vans turned out to be not based on good intelligence, but we thought it was when I said it."
That's good enough for me, how about you guys? I mean, if he thought it was true when he said it, doesn't that count for something? And not all that he said was inaccurate. Furthermore, Powell asserted:
If it weren't for the current security problems, "People would have thrown awards at us" for toppling Hussein.
Well now, buddy, if "ifs" and "ands" were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers hands, as the old saying goes. And the security situation is critical and has been a colossal failure for the US. Following an attempted assassination of Salama Khafaji, Juan Cole writes:
It is incredible that members of the IGC are not safe; if they arenĀ“t, it is likely that nobody is.
I tend to agree. And this seems to be the greatest complaint of the average Iraqi: the US has not provided adequate security. Worshippers have been killed in terrorist bombings, parents are afraid to let their children out the door for fear of them being kidnapped. Arguing that freedom without security is better than security without freedom is a purely academic enterprise worth about as much as those awards that Powell mentioned.

Comments:
how's things war-on-errorism.blogspot.com blogger discovered your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?